We are now witnessing not just a health crisis but a community crisis. What is the role for community development investment and cross-sector partnership with healthcare in strengthening resilience and increasing equity in our post-pandemic world? How are these sectors working together to drive meaningful investments toward our hardest hit communities?
On May 6th, our Network Commons explored these questions through an interactive conversation with three inspirational leaders representing the community development, finance, and healthcare sectors that are reacting to the COVID-19 crisis. The speakers and audience considered how these sectors can collaborate to create a new and better normal by supporting equity, resilience, and healthy communities now more than ever.
The Network’s Executive Director, Dr. Douglas Jutte, moderated a rich discussion with three experts. Read the speakers’ full biographies here.
- Akilah Watkins-Butler, PhD, MA, MSc, CEO and President for the Center for Community Progress
- Maurice A. Jones, JD, MPhil, CEO and President of the Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC)
- Mikelle Moore, MBA, MHSA, Senior Vice President and Chief Community Health Officer at Intermountain Healthcare
Watch the event:
Check out these resources to learn more about the organizations and topics profiled in this event:
- Shelterforce Article: Community Development Is Crucial in This Moment
- Funding Resource: LISC Rapid Relief Fund announcement
- Webpage: NDIA resource for free/low-cost internet for rural communities
- Blog: The Broadband Lifeline in a Pandemic: How Your Community Can Quickly Connect the Unconnected
- Report: People in Place – The Case for Bridging Place-Based and People-Based Interventions to Disrupt Intergenerational Poverty
- Webpage: Center for Community Progress COVID-19 Center
- Webpage: Intermountain Healthcare’s Impact Investing Webpage
- Article: Highlight of Intermountain Healthcare’s work with Utah Housing Prevention Fund
- Article: Intermountain Pours $12M into Social Determinants of Health Effort
- Crosswalk Essay: Community Development’s role in addressing Social Isolation
Continue the conversation
Catch up on Network Commons
Interested in learning more about Network Commons? Check out highlights from our past events.